OK, not to overstate things but this dip is pretty much life changing. In fact I would even say it is the best dip I have ever made with my own hands, if not the best dip to ever pass my lips!!
Why? Well the combo of roasted butternut squash chunks, zhoug (a bold, herbal spice sauce with coriander, cloves, parsley and a kick of green chilli), whipped yogurt and goats cheese with a hint of lemon and roasted hazelnuts, all combined and layered together is simply STUNNING!
Make it as a starter, for a picnic or just about any time of the day - trust me on this one, make this ASAP and never look back!
I served the dip with a fluffy white Turkish flatbread but it will work equally well with pitta bread, crudités or even slices of baguettes.
- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- 300g Greek Yoghurt
- 100g Goat's Cheese
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 2 Bunches of Coriander (60g)
- 2 Tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ Tsp Chili Flakes
- 50g Hazelnuts
- Bread to serve
- Slice the butternut squash into bite sized chunks.
- Toss in a roasting tray with a good drizzle of olive oil and a big pinch of salt and roast for about 40 mins until golden.
- In a bowl, mix together the greek yogurt and goat's cheese with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon.
- Set aside.
- Grate the garlic into a blender before chopping up your chilli and adding to the blender along with the coriander, cardamom, cumin and chilli flakes.
- Squeeze in the juice of a lemon and add about 100ml of olive oil.
- Whizz until not quite smooth.
- Once the squash is cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Spread the yoghurt and goat's cheese mixture across a large plate and then pile up the squash, drizzling each layer with some of the zhoug.
- Roughly chop and toast the hazelnuts, sprinkle over the top and finish with the rest of the zhoug