Pasta and chickpeas may sound like an odd combo but works an absolute treat here.
Think of it as the perfect summer supper dish, full of greens, tangy yet creamy ricotta, which comes speckled with lemon zest, and a bit of oomph from a good helping of chilli flakes, all finished off with the crispy chickpeas that add another texture and complex flavour to the finished dish.
So easy to make, a treat on the plate and just about manageable to rustle up during this heatwave!
- 450g linguine or spaghetti
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 200g Long stem broccoli
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 240g ricotta, preferable room temperature
- Flaky sea salt to taste
- Heat your oven to 220 celsius
- In a large bowl, toss the broccoli, chickpeas, garlic, red-pepper flakes and 1/3 cup oil until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread out evenly on a baking tray.
- Add the kale to the same bowl, and toss to coat in any residual oil.
- Drizzle with more oil as needed and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread out in an even layer on the second baking tray
- Working with 1 baking tray at a time add the broccoli and chickpeas to the oven, tossing halfway through cooking, until the chickpeas are toasty and the broccoli is tender and charred, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Do the same with the kale until just charred and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water, and drain the pasta.
- Zest the lemon, halve it, then cut 1 half into 4 wedges.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon half over the roasted vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the pasta to the pot.
- Add the 1/4 cup reserved pasta cooking water, the ricotta, butter and lemon zest and toss until well combined.
- Add the roasted vegetables and toss, adding more pasta water as needed.
- Season with flaky sea salt and pepper and enjoy!