This dish is a mash up of several recipe I stumbled across online and I would call it my take on health-ish fusion comfort food.
Seared tuna, marinated in teriyaki and a wonderfully fresh and fragrant mango, chilli and herb salad works beautiful with the miso sweet potato mash which may just be my new favourite kind of mash.
The perfect summer supper when you after something more substantial than a salad!
FOR THE TUNA
- 2 tuna steaks
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- Sunflower oil
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed or grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp palm or light brown sugar
- 1 large mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, peeled and cut into long thin strips
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- Small bunch of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Small bunch of Thai basil or coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp. miso paste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- Marinate the tuna by mixing together the honey, teriyaki sauce and chilli flakes.
- Add the tuna, turning to coat in the mixture, and leave to marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Cook the sweet potatoes in boiling water until tender
- Meanwhile, prepare Miso Butter by creaming 2 Tbsp. of the butter and miso paste together with a fork.
- Add black pepper and set aside.
- Mash sweet potatoes by hand using a rice or masher, or blend in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add remaining ¼ cup softened butter and salt.
- To make the salad, mix together the garlic, chilli, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar.
- Toss together with the mango, cucumber, shallot and all of the herbs.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or griddle until hot.
- Drizzle or brush with a little sunflower oil.
- Cook the tuna steaks for 1–2 minutes on each side, basting with the marinade as they cook.
- Take care not to overcook the tuna, as it will dry out pretty quickly.
- Serve the sticky tuna with the salad and sweet potato mash.