I ADORE watermelon in savoury dishes, especially in summer, and this Thai-style peanut noodle salad with herbs and watermelon may be my new favourite way of combining the sweet freshness of watermelon chunks with punchy, main course worthy flavours!
This is the perfect quick, yet impressive, supper for a hot June eve and a new favourite of mine, sure to be added to the regular recipe rotation...in fact my mouth is watering just thinking about it again, I may have to rustle this up pretty soon again!
- 300g dried flat rice noodles
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded then sliced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 300g flesh watermelon, cubed
- a handful of leaves mint, large ones torn
- a handful coriander, leaves and stalks roughly chopped
- a handful of Thai basil leaves
- 4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 6 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 ½ tsp rice vinegar
- 2 stem ginger balls, finely diced, plus 2 tsp of syrup from the jar
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- Put the dressing ingredients into a small jug and whisk with 2-3 tbsp of just-boiled water until a smooth, runny dressing forms.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, then take off the heat and add the noodles.
- Check after 3-4 minutes – the noodles should be softened but still have a little bite.
- Drain well.
- Tip the noodles into a big mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to squash the tomatoes over the bowl, tearing them in half and then adding to the noodles. Add the cucumber, spring onions and most of the peanuts.
- Drizzle over the dressing with some seasoning and toss until the noodles are coated.
- Tip in the watermelon and gently toss a few more times.
- Tip onto a platter or into serving bowls.
- Scatter over the herbs and the remaining nuts AND ENJOY!