This is a wonderfully warming, flavourful and surprising noodle soup that makes the humble and versatile mushroom the true star of the show.
Don't be put off by the unusual combo of flavours (pomegranate molasses and tahini don't usually feature in an Asian noodle dish) because here they work an absolute treat and though it may not have looked as impressive as some of my other lockdown dishes, this was most certainly one of the tastiest dinners I have rustled up in the strange, strange year that 2020 has been.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (I got mine at Sainsbury's)
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 cups shiitake and other mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 400g rice noodles
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 green onions chopped, for serving
- To make the sauce: combine 1/2 cup soy sauce, honey, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, tahini, molasses, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 clove garlic, and 1/3 cup water in a bowl.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions.
- To the pot used to cook the noodles, add the broth and 1/2 of the soy sauce mixture.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stir in the spinach. Keep warm.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil shimmers, add the mushrooms.
- Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add the shallots, 1 tablespoon ginger, and 2 cloves garlic.
- Cook 4-5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce and a large pinch of pepper.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes, until the mushrooms are caramelised.
- Add the sesame seeds, cook 2 minutes.
- Spoon the mushrooms out of the frying pan and onto a plate.
- Add the remaining soy sauce mixture to the frying pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the noodles, toss to combine, and cook until the sauce just coats the noodles, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Ladle the broth into bowls.
- Add the noodles and toss combine.
- Spoon the mushrooms over the noodles.
- Top with green onions and enjoy!