This dish is simple yet utterly yummy and for me the perfect end of week supper that looks and tastes impressive but is surprisingly easy to make!
- 450 tagliatelle
- 1 cup double cream
- 1 3-inch piece lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 100g fresh white crab meat
- 250g frozen or fresh raw king prawns
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Handful of flaked almonds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente; drain.
- In a small saucepan bring the cream, lemon peel and saffron to a low boil over medium-low heat.
- Turn off the heat and let the saffron steep for 10 minutes.
- In a large frying pan heat the butter and stir in the shallot and garlic for 1 minute, then add the crabmeat and shrimp; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the shrimp are pink and just firm, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the wine.
- Discard the lemon from the cream and pour over the seafood.
- Stir in the cayenne and turmeric.
- Add the pasta and toss.
- Top with the parsley and flaked almonds.