I love the French cooking classic that is a tuna niçoise salad but after running a half marathon last Sunday I also fancied a good old bowl of pasta carby goodness so I thought to myself...why not combine the two!
And indeed the end result worked a real treat! A tangy mustardy dressing, slightly warmed through tomatoes, capers, olives and red onions, blanched green beans, cooked to perfection boiled eggs and wonderful seared tuna steak are combined with ribbons of pappardelle pasta, making this a super quick yet impressive and flavour packed dinner, perfect for a warm summer night!
- 400g pappardelle
- 2 small or 1 big fresh tuna steak
- 100g green beans, trimmed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small red onions, finely sliced
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- Big handful pitted black olives
- A handful of fresh torn basil
- 3 boiled eggs (I have perfected a gooey yolk by cooking them in boiling water for exactly 6 minutes 30 seconds and then immediately dropping them into ice water)
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk 2 Tbs. of the olive oil with the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Set aside.
- Cook pappardelle in a saucepan of boiling salted water according to pack instructions.
- When the pasta has a few minutes left, add the green beans and cook until both are al dente.
- Add cooked pasta and green beans to the bowl with the dressing, mixing through thoroughly to prevent the pasta from drying out.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat and gently fry the red onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the anchovy, capers, rinsed, black olives, halved, and the cherry tomatoes, halved.
- Warm for 3-4 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Season the tuna on all sides with salt and pepper. In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil over high heat until shimmering hot.
- Sear the tuna on both sides, about 30seconds per side.
- Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 5minutes.
- Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Add the warmed through vegetables to the pasta and dressing and mix.
- Divide among bowls and top with the sliced tuna, basil and boiled eggs!