Sweet potato mash with the irresistible coconut and miso sauce featured in this recipe may be my new favourite, sort of healthy, comfort food!!
Add some pan fried salmon and you get yourself the most wonderful, nutrient packed, satisfying dinner, perfect to brighten up a dreary January day!
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled + cut into smaller chunks
- knob of butter
- splash of milk
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 pieces salmon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 a lime, juice only
- Black pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley
- Place sweet potato chunks in a large pot.
- Add about 1-1.5 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat.
- Allow to simmer and steam for 15 mins, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium-high.
- Once hot, place salmon SKIN SIDE DOWN and allow to cook (undisturbed) for about 4-6 mins, depending on thickness.
- Flip salmon and turn off heat, allowing to cook for an additional 2 mins.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add minced garlic and sauté for 2 mins until browned and fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, miso paste, ginger, and lime juice to the pan.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously until miso breaks down and the sauce is smooth.
- By now, the potatoes should be ready.
- Drain the potatoes, return them to the pot, add a knob of butter and a splash of milk and mash all together with a potato masher.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Plate sweet potato mash and top with salmon and coconut sauce.
- Finish off the dish with a sprinkle of parsley and ENJOY!