A shop bought BBQ sauce is pimped up into something quite extraordinary by adding pineapple and lime juice as well as fresh coriander, while the burger patties are a wonderful combo of finely chopped salmon, Parmesan some of that "Hawaiian" bbq sauce and panko breadcrumbs.
This sort of perfect marriage of sweet and savoury is continued with pineapple rings which are pan fried in coconut oil, to be later layered on top of the salmon patties and some mashed avocado, all topped with more BBQ sauce and some thin cheese slices, because why the hell not!
It's crunchy, juicy, sweet, savoury and packed full of flavours and one of the best burgers I have ever made!
Perfect for BBQ season, perfect for when you are craving a burger and sure to impress guests, these burgers are a new favourite of mine and will be added to the regular rotation!
Best served with fries (I went for the best easy frozen sweet potato ones from Waitrose) and more of that amazing tropical BBQ sauce!
- 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 fillets of fresh raw salmon (skin removed)
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 slices sandwich cheese
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 2 avocado sliced or mashed (optional)
- 2 large pineapple rings preferably from a fresh pineapple
- In a small bowl combine the BBQ sauce, pineapple juice, lime juice, coriander, salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
- Set aside for later.
- Add salmon to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it’s somewhat ground.
- You can also chop the salmon very finely with a sharp knife like I did!
- Remove and add salmon to a bowl with the panko bread crumbs, parmesan and 2 tablespoons of the hawaiian BBQ sauce from step 1 (save the rest for serving) and mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Form into 2 equally sized burger patties.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Cook burger patties on each side until golden, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- During the last minute of cooking add the cheese slices.
- In a separate frying pan heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and place the pineapple slices in the pan.
- Cook for about 3-4 mins, flip and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- To assemble place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of a bun, then the burger, mashed or sliced avocado and a ring of pineapple.
- Drizzle each burger with the remaining Hawaiian BBQ sauce.
- Serve with fries of your liking!