I am not the biggest fan of Mexican food in general (not sure why, I guess the flavours can be a bit repetitive?!) BUT MY GOD THESE FISH TACOS WERE AMAZING!!!
First there is the zingy twist on a classic coleslaw, the shredded cabbage flavoured with pineapple juice and coriander, which is added on top of your tortilla to give the tacos a good crunch.
The coleslaw gets topped with sliced avocado and then the star of the show: deep fried, beer battered, spicy chunks of cod, which are flaky yet crunchy and surprisingly easy to achieve perfectly executed at home.
The finishing touch to the tacos is a punchy and moorish chipotle mayo, which I would recommend you mixing a lot of because I kept on topping my tacos up with more, and which is drizzled on top this wonderful concoction of Mexican flavours and textures.
I literally gobbled these up in 5 minutes and have been thinking about them ever since..an absolute must-make even for those, like me, who aren't usually the biggest fans of Mexican dishes because these tacos definitely changed my mind for good!!
- 1 package taco wraps (I used these from Waitrose)
- 2 cod fillets, cut into chunks
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 12 oz. / 1 can of beer (any light beer will work well)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups shredded red + white cabbage
- ½ cup coriander
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. pineapple juice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 tsp chipotle paste (I used this one from Waitrose)
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Prepare the citrus slaw by combining sliced cabbage, coriander, pineapple juice, lime juice, and salt.
- Prepare the chipotle mayo by combining mayo and chipotle paste
- Prepare the batter by combining flour, panko bread crumbs, beer, and seasonings.
- Cut fish into pieces and dip into batter.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
- Cut avocado into thin slices.
- Assemble tacos by combining fried fish, citrus slaw, sliced avocado and chipotle mayo on your taco wraps