I told you my asparagus obsession is not close to being over and this gratin is all kinds of amazing. A cheesy sauce, with an extra kick from balsamic vinegar, nutmeg and a dash of mustard, gets poured over sliced up, boiled potatoes and steamed asparagus (I used a mix of white and green here but you do you) before being topped with more grated cheese and popped into the oven.
A total one baking tray dinner that is delicious, filling and another yummy way to make the most of asparagus while it is in season!
- 800g boiled potatoes
- 600g asparagus (I did a mix of green and white asparagus)
- 200g creme fraiche
- 200g double cream
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 150g gruyere (grated) + more for topping
- Fresh chives, sliced
- Wash the potatoes, then boil them in salted water until cooked through (about 20-25 mins).
- In the meantime snap the woody ends off your asparagus and if using white asparagus don't forget to give them a peel as well.
- Steam the prepped asparagus in the microwave for a couple of minutes so it's cooked but has retained a crunch.
- For the sauce combine the creme fraiche, double cream, mustard, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Peel and chop your garlic and add to the mix.
- Add the grated cheese and give the sauce a good mix before adding nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 celsius.
- Let the potatoes cool down a bit before slicing them into thick rounds (I left their skins on but feel free to peel the potatoes).
- Add the potato rounds to your baking tray and top with a layer of the cheese sauce.
- Spread the asparagus evenly on top of the potatoes and add the rest of the cheese sauce.
- Add some grated cheese on top and your gratin is ready for the oven!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Top with sliced chives and serve with a green salad!