Each dish is prepared in minutes yet tastes amazing and perfectly accompany just about any main!
A last note: I used to hate fennel but PLEASE give this braised fennel a chance, it will change your mind about this underrated vegetable forever!
COURGETTE, BASIL & ROCKET SALAD IN A LEMONY PARMESAN DRESSING
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 3 Tablespoons
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heaping Tablespoons of finely grated Parmesan
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 courgettes
- 1 large handful rocket leaves
- 1 large handful basil leaves
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, Parmesan, salt and pepper together for the dressing.
- Thinly slice the courgette at an angle or use a mandoline.
- Put the courgette, rocket and basil in a small bowl and mix just enough of the dressing in to coat thinly and serve.
BRAISED FENNEL WITH ROSEMARY
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 Rosemary sprig
- A squeeze of lemon juice,
- For serving salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the fennel into quarters or eighths, depending on size, and season with olive oil and salt.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas mark 4.
- Transfer the fennel to an ovenproof dish.
- Pour in the stock and add the rosemary and seasoning.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until soft and tender.
- If necessary, top up with more stock or water so the fennel doesn’t dry out.
- Squeeze over some lemon juice before serving.
BALSAMIC GLAZED ROAST CARROT & BEETROOT ON A BED OF LEAVES
- 1 pack of cooked beetroot, quartered
- 200g of carrots (if you can find these mini ones are super cute, otherwise cut into chunks similar in size to the beetroot)
- 150g rocket leaves
For The Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- For the Balsamic dressing add all the ingredients to a jar, close the lid and shake well to mix everything well.
- Clean and cut beetroot and carrots into bite-size pieces.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Toss vegetables in in the above dressing.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked tender and is caramalized around the edges.
- Add veg to the bed of rocket and drizzle with leftover balsamic glaze.