I LOVED this twist on the classic tuna niçoise salad in which your classic tinned tuna get substituted with the most wonderfully flaky yet juicy and super tasty slow roast salmon.
Add a great dressing, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, olives and perfectly waxy cooked eggs and you get yourself a healthy, delicious and heat wave proof dinner! What's not to love!!
- 8 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 400g skinless salmon fillet
- Freshly ground pepper
- 200g green beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 500g small potatoes
- 1small shallot
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- A pinch of sugar
- ½ cup black olives
- Arrange a rack in center of oven; preheat to 180c.
- Pour 1 Tbsp. oil into center of a rimmed baking sheet, then arrange. salmon over oil.
- Season salmon all over with salt and pepper, then drizzle with another 1 Tbsp. oil.
- Roast salmon until flesh flakes in the thickest part of the fillet with pressed gently, 30–35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium saucepan with water.
- Add several generous pinches of salt and bring to a boil, covered, over medium-high heat.
- While salmon is cooking and water is coming to a boil, focus on the rest of your salad prep. First, trim stem end off green beans and quarter your potatoes
- Cut 1 cup tomatoes in half.Peel and finely chop 1 shallot. Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Separate leaves from 1 head of lettuce
- When water is boiling, add your potatoes an cook for about 8 minutes.
- Then add the green beans and cook until tender but still retain some snap, about 2 minutes.
- As you wait for the green beans and potatoes to cook, fill another medium bowl halfway with ice water.
- Using tongs, remove green beans and potatoes immediately (but leave boiling water right where it is) and transfer to bowl with ice water.
- Leave there for 15–20 seconds, or just long enough to chill them completely, then remove from water and pat dry; set aside.
- Keep the ice water for cooking the eggs.
- Add eggs to saucepan and cook exactly 8 minutes.
- Transfer to ice water bath and let cool 2 minutes. Peel eggs, keeping them submerged in ice bath as you work.
- Pat eggs dry and transfer to cutting board.
- Time to make your dressing: Add 1 Tbsp. mustard, 1 Tbsp. vinegar, and a pinch of sugar to bowl with shallot; season with salt and a generous amount of pepper.
- Whisking constantly, slowly stream in remaining 6 Tbsp. oil until you have a thick, emulsified dressing.
- Arrange lettuce on plates and drizzle with dressing.
- Arrange potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, and olives over lettuce.
- Cut eggs in quarters and add to plates.
- Using your hands or a fork, flake off large pieces of salmon and arrange over salad.
- Drizzle platter with remaining dressing. Season with salt and pepper.