I absolutely adored this veggie friendly twist on a usually pretty meaty Souvlaki and the complexity of flavours and textures it delivered.
Flatbreads are topped with a sun-dried tomato and caper sort of tapenade, balsamic glaze roasted aubergine chunks, halloumi and homemade tzatziki plus a few slices of raw red onion, yes a few elements to prep but OH SO WORTH IT! Best served with some fries and an Aperol Spritz on the side to get you in the mood for summer!
- 2 Flatbreads (I used these yummy ones from Waitrose)
- 220g Halloumi cheese, diced
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 medium-size Aubergine, cut into four and sliced.
- 1tbsp of balsamic glaze
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1/4tsp of salt
- 1/4tsp of black pepper
- 1tsp of oregano
- 120g sun-dried tomatoes with olive oil
- 2tsp of baby capers
- Half a red onion sliced into rings
- Handful of pomegranate seeds to serve
FOR THE TZATZIKI
- 6tbsp of Greek yoghurt
- 10g of fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Drizzle of lemon juice
- 1/2tsp of black pepper
- 1/2tsp of salt
- 1/4tsp of sugar
- Begin by soaking diced Halloumi in water with 1/2 lemon juice for a duration of 30 minutes.
- Next, prepare Tzatziki.
- Grate the cucumber into a bowl then squeeze out the excess juice by using a cloth or sieve.
- Mix cucumber with 6tbsp of Greek yoghurt, 10g of finely chopped dill, 2 minced garlic cloves.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and season with 1/2tsp of black pepper, 1/2tsp of salt and 1/4tsp of sugar.
- Rest in the fridge until the serving time.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix sliced Aubergine with 1tbsp of balsamic glaze, 1tbsp of olive oil, 1/4tsp of salt, 1/4tsp of black pepper, 1tsp of oregano.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove Halloumi cheese from the water and place on a separate baking tray, season with olive oil and place in the oven next to the Aubergine for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- In the meantime blend 120g of sundried tomato with 2tsp of baby capers and place in a small dish.
- Heat both sides of flatbread on a frying pan ready to serve.
- Spread one side with sun-dried tomato paste.
- Add few pieces of roasted Halloumi and aubergine.Add a couple spoons of Tzatziki and garnish with red onion and pomegranate seeds.