Quite surprisingly too, you don't really tend to get many fish burger options (not counting the unidentifiable fish that is is in a fillet o' fish burger from McDonalds) which I find rather strange as this Asian twist on a burger, made with the most fragrant and juicy salmon patty with miso was rather OUTSTANDING!
Indeed it had the perfect texture, perfect flavours and was total a dream when combined with a brioche bun, siracha mayo and a super delicious, spicy and quick to make cucumber pickle.
The final burger was definitely restaurant worthy, both in terms of looks and taste and a real revelation for any pescatarian out there! One to add to my regular recipe repertoire for sure and great for impressing a crowd!
- 2 skinless, boneless fresh salmon fillet
- 50g Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 brioche buns (I loved these glossy ones from Hovis)
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp white miso
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 lime (zest and juice)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 Tsp sugar
- Knob of ginger
- 1 Tsp salt
- Olive oil
- Fries - normal or sweet potato, whatever you prefer!
- Roughly chop the salmon fillets.
- Put half into a food processor and blitz to a paste.
- Add the miso, ginger, lime zest, the rest of the salmon and 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Pulse very briefly until roughly combined.
- You want some nice chunky bits of salmon in with the paste rather than it all turned into mush.
- Tip the mix into a bowl and stir through the panko breadcrumbs.
- Shape into 2 burgers and chill whilst you make the smacked cucumbers.
- Get a rolling pin or something heavy and hit the cucumber until it has collapsed and starts to break.
- Cut into random diagonal pieces.
- Place in a bowl and stir in the salt.
- Leave to sit for 10 minutes to draw out some of the water from the cucumber.
- Now time to make the cucumber dressing.
- Grab a bowl, then crush in the garlic cloves and mix with 1 tbsp of Sriracha sauce, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, sugar and lime juice.
- Mix the remaining Sriracha sauce with the mayonnaise.
- Pour a drizzle of oil into a non-stick frying pan. Fry the salmon burgers for 3 minutes on each side.
- Assembly time!
- Drain the water off the cucumbers and mix with the dressing.
- Cut the buns in half, (toast in the frying pan if you like), spread each bun with the sriracha mayo.
- Top each with a salmon burger and pile on the smacked cucumber slaw.
- Drizzle over the dressing.
- Serve with fries!