Another cheats' dinner party dessert centre piece that takes minimum effort to make but wows on the taste front and looks pretty impressive too!
But shhh for all anyone knows you have been slaving away for hours making this in the kitchen ;)!
Top tip: Go for a fancy ready made custard as you will use it for the tart base but also to serve with the finished result. I adore M&S vanilla flecked version.
FOR THE PASTRY
- 1 packet all-butter ready-rolled puff pastry
FOR THE CUSTARD
- 1 pot of ready made vanilla custard
FOR THE APPLES
- 5 granny smith apples, peeled and cored
- 50g unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200 C baking tray with baking paper.
- To prepare the apples, quarter them, then cut each quarter into four slices.
- Heat a large frying pan, add the butter and stir to melt.
- Add the apples and toss them through the butter until they begin to soften slightly.
- Add the brown sugar and stir, coating the apples in caramel, until the apples are par-cooked (remember they will continue to cook in the oven).
- Drain the apples, reserving the caramel sauce, and allow them to cool in the fridge.
- Unwrap your puff pastry sheet, lay on top of the lined baking tray and score a few holes to prevent rising.
- Use a small offset spatula or spoon to spread an even layer of the custard, leaving a small border on all sides.
- Arrange the apples on top to cover.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 180 C and bake for a further 15 - 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and puffed and the apples begin to caramelise.
- Remove from the oven, cut into slices and top with the leftover caramel sauce and serve with the leftover custard.
Post a Comment