Craving smoked salmon and some sort of carb, but not wanting to revert to my usual and very heavy smoked salmon and cream pasta, I found this amazing and super easy to make gnocchi recipe online and it may just be new favourite!
The sauce which is essentially chopped up cornichon, cornichon juice, creme fraiche and fresh dill may sound odd but works a real treat when combined with slices of smoked salmon, broad beans and the gnocchi which are fried in some butter to get them nice and crispy!
Quick, tasty, comforting - what else could you want!!!
- 125g frozen broad beans
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 500g pack chilled gnocchi
- 150ml crème fraîche
- 5 small cornichons, chopped, plus 2 tbsp of pickling liquid
- 1 pack dill, chopped
- 200g pack smoked salmon
- Put the broad beans in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to defrost.
- Heat the butter and oil over a medium heat in a non-stick frying pan that’s large enough to hold the gnocchi in a single layer.
- Once the butter has melted, add the gnocchi and toss in the fat until evenly coated, then fry undisturbed for 2 minutes
- Toss the gnocchi to turn and fry for another 2-3 minutes, stirring until golden on all sides.
- Drain the broad beans.
- Turn off the heat and stir through the crème fraîche and pickling liquid followed by most of the cornichons and dill, plus the broad beans
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pan from the hob completely and stir through three-quarters of the smoked salmon.
- Divide the gnocchi between two bowls and top with the reserved gherkins, dill and smoked salmon.
- Serve with a grinding of black pepper.