With the arctic weather outside there has never been a more fitting time to make great soup and this may just be the best soup I ever rustled up at home! Why? Well this creamy, yet a bit chunky, veg packed bean soup with parmesan and chunky croutons is healthy with a touch of indulgence!!!
- ½ tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 large onion 200g finely chopped
- 1 Leek 80g chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 carrot 150g finely chopped
- 2 celery 100g sticks finely chopped
- 2 medium vine tomatoes deseeded and roughly cubed140g
- 600 ml vegetable stock plus extra water if required
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tin cannellini beans 240g drained
- 20 g freshly grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- 100 g black kale or cabbage
- Ciabatta or stale bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onions and leeks and cook on a medium heat until softened.
- Add garlic, dried thyme, carrot and celery then stir and continue to cook. Next add the tomatoes, stock and fresh sprigs of thyme.
- Stir and bring to the boil.
- Pop on a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove the lid and stir in the cannellini beans and freshly grated parmesan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next transfer ⅓ of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the smooth part of the soup back in the chunky soup and mix well.
- Stir in the kale.
- Pop the lid back on and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the kale has just started to wilt.
- Remove the lid, season with sea salt, black pepper and parmesan, then serve
MY TIP: To stick the traditional recipe of Tuscan Ribollita soup, line the serving bowls with stale bread (or slices of ciabatta if you prefer) and pour the soup over the top. The bread soaks up the soup and thickens.