Another dish where fusion really works a treat! Here the classic English fish pie gets an Indian twist with a curry infused cream sauce and THE most amazing turmeric and nigella seed spiced mash.
A seriously delightful comfort food dish that will feed a crowd!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion , finely sliced
- 40g plain flour
- 3 tbsp medium curry paste (I used this Korma paste from Waitrose)
- 600ml milk
- 150g green beans , cut into 3cm pieces
- 1.2kg Maris Piper potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 heaped tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 300g cooked king prawns
- ½ small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt and fry over a medium heat for 8 mins, or until the onions turn golden and sticky.
- Stir the flour and curry paste into the onions and cook for 2 mins.
- Remove from the heat and quickly whisk through the milk in several additions to make a thick sauce.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the beans and cook for 1 min, then scoop out with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the water and cook for 5-6 mins or until you can easily insert a cutlery knife into them.
- Drain and mash.
- Stir through the remaining oil, turmeric and nigella seeds, then season to taste.
- Add the prawns and green beans to the sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and quickly remove from the heat.
- Stir through the coriander and crème fraîche and season to taste.
- Heat the grill to its highest setting.
- Spoon the mixture into a medium heatproof dish.
- Spread over the mashed potato and grill for 4-5 mins or until golden and bubbling AND ENJOY!