I love cookies, in fact I think they are my favourite sweet treat alongside ice cream, and when Crème opened in London late last year I know I had found cookie heaven. I mean I even dedicated a whole blog post to their amazing cookies, only 4 flavours available but each huge cookie so amazing that people regularly queued for hours to get their hands on some.
I was therefore more than gutted when they closed their doors because of Corona, particularly craving their iconic white chocolate and miso cookie at least once a week. Yes, miso and white chocolate sounds like an odd combination but I kid you not it made them just about the best cookie in the whole wide world, the flavours somehow working together to make it something quite special.
While Crème as now started doing deliveries and pick ups, I can't really justify ordering a box of 6 (their minimum order) for one small blonde so instead I tried to re-create their cookie magic at home! I came across a great recipe from The Anna Edit that claimed to be pretty close to the Crème ones which got me so excited I even invested in an electric whisk (as previously mentioned on here I am more of a cook than baker and that will never change) and WOW they did not disappoint.
Of course nothing will ever be as good as a Crème one, God knows how they get them so fluffy, but the finished cookies were INCREDIBLE and trust me the white miso is a total game changer to cookie making.
Even better the cookies are baked from frozen so that if you are by yourself you aren't left with 12 made cookies in a lockdown that doesn't lend itself to a lot of self discipline! I for one could not be happier to have them waiting in my freezer, ready to be baked and out of the oven and ready to eat in under half an hour! Even for a non baker like me I will 100% be making these regularly (and of course still make it to Crème when things return to normal!). Trust me, these are VERY good so get baking!
Makes 12-14 (I halved quantities for myself but they will get eaten either way)
- 225g butter
- 200g light brown muscovado sugar
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium egg
- 360g self raising flour
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 350g white chocolate, roughly chopped
- Mix the butter and sugar until fully combined, either in a stand-mixer or with a hand mixer.
- Once creamy, mix for a further five minutes until the mixture gets paler and light and fluffy.
- Mix one egg at a time into the mixture.
- Add the flour, cornflour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and miso paste and mix until just combined – try not to over mix here.
- Then add in the white chocolate and again mix until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture out onto a plate or baking tray into cookie size mounds (don’t compact them down!) and put in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Remove quantity of cookies you are after and cook on a foil-lined baking tray for 8 minutes at 200 degrees celsius, then turn the tray around and bake for a further 3 minutes until the tops are light golden.
- Allow to cool and firm up on the baking tray for at least 20 minutes, if not longer to let them set a little!