Eating one of their, pushing the £8 mark, slimline sandwiches gives me immense joy every time I treat myself to one, especially their spicy tuna version which is the perfect combo of crispy thin wholewheat bread, tuna salad, jalapeño, tomato and pesto.
I have been so obsessed with them recently that I made it my mission to recreate a worthy "copycat" and "make it your own at home" version, and after a bit of research online and thoroughly analysing what ingredients I thought I could taste in the sandwich I came up with pretty spot on recipe!!!
In fact my version was so damn tasty and close to the original that I basically ate it for dinner, then breakfast and lunch the next day!
Of course, I will still got to Joe & the Juice when feeling lazy or like treating myself but it was so easy and cheap to make this outstanding sandwich at home that I will be repeating this little recipe A LOT in the future, trust me!
MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
FOR THE TUNA SALAD
- 2x 150g tins of canned tuna in spring water
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 150g light mayo (add / reduce until you get your desired consistency, I don't like it too mayo heavy)
- 2 tablespoon chopped jalapeños, drained (add more if you like it extra spicy)
- Tabasco (I added about 10 splashes)
- 4x wholemeal pittas (Warburton's had the best shape for this), ends and sides trimmed to give you two rectangle pieces for each pitta.
- 2x beef tomatoes, sliced
- 2x ripe avocados, sliced
- Make your tuna salad - combine the tuna, mayo, jalapeños, tabasco and dill.
- Mix well and adjust the tuna salad seasoning + spice level to your liking, then set aside in the fridge.
- Get a griddle pan hot on a high heat
- Add your pitta slices and grill both sides until hot and crispy
- Now it's time to assemble the sandwich!
- Spread the bottom pitta slice with plenty of pesto.
- Top with tomato and avocado slices.
- Spread your tuna salad generously as final layer then add the top pitta slice and ENJOY!
- The tuna salad keeps a good few days in the fridge so keep on making those sandwiches!!